We all enjoy the warm and steamy sensation while bathing in a hot spring. But aside from the relaxing and cozy feels, did you know that hot spring has a lot to offer that would benefit our health?
A Hot Spring also called a thermal spring, is all-natural water heated by shallow intrusions of magma or molten rock. This means that these hot springs can be found in a geographic region where an active volcano is located. However, some thermal springs are not related to volcanic activity.
In the Philippines, the province of Laguna became notable for developing natural hot springs into water resorts and spas. The hot spring of Mt. Makiling is channeled down into the resort’s grounds, where they feed spas, outdoor baths, and pools. But one of the reasons why tourists are visiting Laguna hot springs is because of balneology.
Balneology is the practice of treating and preventing disease through the use of hot spring water. This practice was originated by Romans, Egyptians, and Greeks, which believes that the natural minerals from hot spring waters have a positive effect on our body. Without further ado, let’s dive into the top 12 health benefits of soaking in mineral hot spring water.
1. Reduce Stress – Immersing your body in hot spring water will instantly reduce stress. The heat naturally loosens up the tense muscles, which result in tranquility.
2. Detoxify – Detox is the process of removing toxins in our body to feel relieved. Bathing in hot springs can help your autonomic nervous system and normalize your endocrine system by releasing toxins in your body through sweating.
3. Prevents Iron Deficiency – Natural hot springs are rich in therapeutic minerals. While soaking, your body absorbs microscopic qualities through the skin. Iron is the most common mineral that can be found in a hot spring. When iron was absorbed, it can help alleviate the symptoms of iron deficiency.
4. Boost Immune System – The iron content and the other traced minerals on hot springs believed that it might strengthen your body’s immune system. Making your immune system strong will be able to fight infections and diseases.
5. Boosts Blood Circulation – Your hydrostatic pressure rises when you bathe in a hot spring. This process will increase the circulation and oxygen flow that helps keep your heart healthy and strong. It also strengthens your body’s other vital organs and tissues.
6. Improves Sleep – Since hot spring can help you relax, it can also be beneficial for you to have a good sleep and nutrient assimilation pattern. In addition to this, the study conducted by RMIT University’s School of Health and Biomedical Sciences shows that 82% of respondents reported better sleep after bathing in a hot spring.
7. Reduces High Blood Pressure – Another element found in natural hot spring is potassium. The potassium in hot spring pools assists in normalizing heartbeats and reduces high blood pressure.
8. Burns Calories – This is one of the most amazing health benefits of hot spring. Soaking in hot springs for an hour can burn 140 calories. Imagine you can relax and enjoy bathing while burning calories.
9. Promotes Healthy Skin – Magnesium and Potassium in hot spring water promotes healthy skin. These elements helping to reduce acne, and it can enhance the moisture and feel of your skin.
10. Relieves Pain – In 2007, one of every six adult Filipinos suffering from arthritis and rheumatism, according to the Philippine Rheumatology Association (PRA). Warm water works wonders because of the sodium and natural salt present in geothermal mineral water. It is recommended to soak for 20 minutes and do some gentle stretches in the water.
11. Encourages to Socialize – In other countries such as Japan, bathhouses played an important role in bringing together community members to connect. Harvard Study of Adult Development found out that the most important determinant in human longevity is social connections.
12. Destroy Harmful Germs – A hot mineral bath can actually destroy harmful germs. A study in Japan, the Middle East, and Europe have shown that soaking in sulfur water can help kill germs and viruses in and on the skin, including dermatitis and other fungal infection.
Hot spring water contains a lot of minerals that could help improve our physical and mental health. But let us not forget to consider some precautions. Most of the time, pregnant, elderly, and people with heart problems and high blood pressure are not encouraged to bathe in hot springs without their physician’s consent. These people with the said conditions might experience different results.
We encourage everyone to drink plenty of non-alcoholic fluids. Hot water increases body temperature especially when you’ve been soaking for a long time.